1. The Maritime Safety Committee, at its sixty-seventh session (2 to 6 December 1996) and the Marine Environment Protection Committee, at its thirty-eighth session (1 to 10 July 1996), approved the issuance of a new circular combining the lists of addresses, telephone and fax numbers and electronic mail addresses of national contact points responsible for safety and pollution prevention.
2. The present circular is an updated version of MSC-MEPC.6/Circ.13, and contains information received by the Secretariat up to the date of this circular and consists of the following annexes:
- Annex 1
– amalgamated list of national inspection services – head offices (originally MSC/Circ.630), national inspection services – local offices (originally MSC/Circ.630), inspection services acting as representatives of flag States for port State control matters and responsible authorities in charge of casualty investigation (originally
MSC/Circ.542), as well as the Secretariats of Memoranda of Understanding on Port State Control; and
- Annex 2
– list of national operational contact points responsible for the receipt, transmission and processing of urgent reports on incidents involving harmful substances including oil from ships to coastal States.
3. Member Governments are invited to:
.1 provide information on any changes or additions to the annexes;
.2 provide addresses, telephone and fax numbers and electronic mail addresses of inspection services acting as representatives of flag States in case of port States interventions; and
.3 notwithstanding the provisions of the 1974 SOLAS Convention, as amended, with regard to communication of an intervention, port State authorities are requested, in order to expedite communications, to additionally convey information, related to port State control interventions, to those flag State inspection services – Head Offices – listed in annex 1 or to the inspection services acting as representatives of flag States, when available.
4. Member States are requested to directly update their respective information as contained in annexes 1 and 2, and as outlined in paragraph 3 above, in the Global Integrated
Shipping Information System (GISIS), using the reporting facilities of the Contact Points module.
5. The lists mentioned above, as set out in annexes 1 and 2, are issued, as annexes to the circular posted on IMODOCS, annually. However, the most updated version of these two
annexes can be downloaded from the GISIS website at http://gisis.imo.org through its Contact Points module. The whole circular, including the annexes, as well as a standalone pdf version of annex 2, is also available on the IMO's website at http://www.imo.org and can be accessed through either the "National Contacts
" or "Circulars
" links on the bottom of IMO homepage
6. For ship inspection purposes, the only official version of the "List of national operational contact points responsible for the receipt, transmission and processing of urgent reports on incidents involving harmful substances including oil from ships to coastal States – Annex 2" to be used is the updated version, which is issued electronically on a quarterly basis. The quarterly date for this official version is specified at the top of each page of the above list (i.e. 31 March, 30 June, 30 September and 31 December). It is available on the IMO website and can be downloaded as stated in paragraph 5.